Tuesday, April 5, 2016

FHE throwback

Our typical FHE involves an opening song (always "Families Can Be Together Forever"), an opening prayer, a lesson from the scripture stories for children, followed by a family card game. We had been reading about Lehi's vision and the Tree of Life as a family, so I thought it would be impactful to recreate a special FHE that has stuck with me since my parents prepared it when I was a kid. I roped off the basement into an obstacle course and waited quietly underneath the stairs with a plate of cookies while Aaron blind folded the kids and led them through the obstacle course in the dark, instructing them to hold onto the rope to find the treat waiting at the end. After each child had the chance to complete the obstacle course, we dunked our cookies in hot chocolate and discussed what it means to "hold to the rod." I question whether the kids take anything away from our rowdy FHE lessons, but I hope that maybe they'll remember this object lesson and feel the importance of keeping the commandments and studying the scriptures as they navigate their way through life.


No comments: