Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Trimming the Tree

I'm learning. It's taken me several years, but I'm learning. I'm learning that the kids have more fun decorating the tree when the work (trimming the base, adjusting the angle, stringing the lights and garland) is done ahead of time. And, I'm learning that if I want something done right, I should just do it myself! This year, I didn't wait for Aaron to help me string the lights and garland, I just did it myself while he was at work. Don't worry, he wasn't the least bit upset at me for going ahead without him--Aaron was delighted that he didn't have to participate in the tedious prep work! Once I had everything ready, the boys all helped with the fun part: hanging the ornaments. It was really cute watching them take out each ornament, remembering each one from Christmases past, and find the perfect place for it on the tree. Max took great care to place each little bit of ribbon and flower just so and kept saying, "this is the best day ever!" Ben hoarded all of the star ornaments and then, with Dad's help, would select a branch to hang it on and say, "I did it!" Joey liked taking the ornaments off just as much as putting them on, but still "helped" in his own way. The tree looks a bit like it was decorated by four little boys, with all of the ornaments globbed on one branch, but I love it! Merry Christmas!









No comments: