Friday, March 27, 2015

St. Paddy's Day

When I was a kid, St. Patrick's Day consisted of wearing green and pinching those who forgot. That's it. Somehow the holiday has evolved into not just wearing a token piece of green clothing, but drinking green-dyed milk with Lucky Charms for breakfast, painting green leprechaun footprints around the house, engineering a device to trap said leprechaun, and planting gold coins left by the evasive leprechaun. I guess since I have a hard time buying the whole leprechaun bit, and it doesn't seem to correspond to any religious/historical significance, I have a hard time conjuring up hype for St. Patrick's Day. I'm not a total dead-beat. I did spend a fair amount of time helping Hank create his trap for a school assignment, but when Nana Grover offered to ring-and-run a pot of gold for the boys, I let myself off the hook and called it good.



No comments: