Thursday, June 13, 2013

Too Much Play

My Mom's motto for raising my brother growing up was always, "a tired boy is a good boy." Sorry Mom, I'm going to have to prove you wrong--a tired boy is not a good boy, a tired boy is a very grouchy, very naughty boy!




Summer has only just begun, but these boys have been playing non-stop....it's nothing but bike rides in the morning, picnics at the park, and lots of playing outside with friends all afternoon. So much playing can be a lot of work! The other day, Hank and Max came inside after playing basketball outside with friends, and I tried to transition them from play time to homework time (yep, it's summer but their brains need exercise, too!), and it was not a well-received idea. Max called names, talked back, and threw a little fit. I knew he was acting up because he was tired, but couldn't convince him to lay down to rest. Finally, I had no choice but to send him to time out. Three minutes later, I go to his timeout spot to recap the episode with him, and find him laying on the floor, asleep! After I carried him to bed and he slept for an hour or two, he was good as new!

No comments: