Sunday, May 12, 2013

Happy Mom's Day!

Boy, a girl could get used to all of this special attention and spoiling. I propose every day be Mother's Day! All in favor say, "aye." Aye! All opposed say, "nay."......Well, then, done! 

My boys began showering me with gifts on Friday when they each brought home from school their beautiful artwork, thoughtful notes, and sweet gifts.

Looking objectively at Hank's portrait of me, I think he captured my poofy hair, but I'm not sure about the crossed eyes and stuck out tongue.

Translation: It bugs my mom when..."she goes the wrong way to a place she has been." Very true, Hank.

Translation: My mom's favorite TV show is...."Chopped, because she wants to learn about cooking."

Translation: To relax my mom likes to..."make cookies and watch T.V."

Translation: I love it when my mom: "makes cereal. She gets a bowl and I tell her what I want and she gets the milk and a spoon and she gives it to me and Yum."




Hank's sweet teacher sent the kids home with a Mother's Day "breakfast in bed"--a muffin wrapped in a brown paper sack with a cute little corresponding poem. When I woke up the next morning, this is what I found waiting for me on my bedside table:

Max made this sweet little card for me:

Here is Benny's masterpeice:

My Mother's Day included all of my favorite things: yummy food, lots of sunshine, plenty of relaxation, and lots of love from my most favorite boys. When I woke up, Aaron presented me with this yummy breakfast treat, served on our "Special Day Plate" nonetheless:

After our sinful breakfast, we got some fresh air and a little exercise walking/riding on the trail:



It must have been a special occasion because instead of spending my Sunday morning wrestling with the boys to get them all fed, run through the bathtub, and dressed, I got to relax in the sunshine on the back deck and enjoy a book:

After a morning of indulging and relaxing, Aaron gave me the most awesome gift of being able to listen and enjoy my church meetings kid-free. It gave me a very much needed spiritual up-lift and a moment to re-center myself and re-evaluate my sacred role as a mother.

After church, it was a few more gifts and then off to Nana and Papa's for a family gathering and barbeque.



So often I lose sight of the big picture when it comes to raising my children. I get lost in the mountains of laundry and heaping piles of dirty dishes, that I forget the signficance of the work that I am doing. I get so focused on making sure that all of the vegetables get eaten, the homework gets finished, and teeth get brushed, that sometimes I forget to make sure that no-reason fun is had, their little self-esteems are raised, and life lessons are taught and exemplefied. Some days I think to myself, "why bother?," "does any of it even matter?," and "does anyone notice or care?" This quote is the perfect reminder to me of my sacred role as a mother in our Father in Heaven's eternal plan:

"When the real history of mankind is fully disclosed, will it feature the echoes of gunfire or the shaping sounds of lullabies? The great armistices made by miltary men or the peacemaking of women in homes and in neighborhoods? Will what happened in cradles and kitchen prove to be more controlling than what happened in congresses? When the surf of the centuries has made the great pyramids so much sand, the everlasting family will be standing, because it is a celestial institution, formed outside telestial time. The women of God know this." --Neal A. Maxwell

I am so humbled in this work of raising my sons to become righteous young men, priesthood-holders, missionaries, and fathers. I love my boys dearly and thank my Father in Heaven every day for the blessing of being their mother and pray for His guidance and counsel as I carry out His work.

Lastly, as I stumble through my experience as a mother in equal parts trial and error and prayer, I am grateful for my mother who supports me and encourages me every step of the way. She celebrates with me in my accomplishments, she offers simple company through the doldrums, and she carries my burdens with me when I'm struggling. I love you, Mom! Also, Happy Mother's Day to the special lady who raised the man of my dreams--if my sons turn out half as well as their father, I'll have succeeded.

No comments: