Sunday, September 27, 2009

Caught in the Act

I take responsibility, as a novice potty-trainer, for apparently teaching Hank to loathe potty-time. Hank doesn't want anything to do with the potty--obviously not a condusive attitude towards potty-training. Therefore, Hank has taken to doing his duty while we are outside the house, running errands or whatnot. I find it frustrating that he messes his diaper when I am least in a position to change it, so I have been telling him before we go anywhere, that I don't want him to do a poop while we are gone. Mean, I know. Anyways, knowing that we had a full morning of activities, I gave Hank notice that he needed to take care of his job, or else wait until we got back home--there would be no time to change his dirty diaper once we left the house. He chose to wait. Some time later, we were back at the house, and Hank asks me, "Mom, is it okay if I do a poop?" Sensing the opportunity, I convinced Hank to just sit on the potty by bribing him with a treat. Well, when I returned to the bathroom from retrieving the treat, I smelled success! I asked Hank if he dad done the duty, we both took a peak in the potty, and he was just as surprised as I was to see a little poo in the basin!


We wasted no time celebrating, aka reinforcing, this accomplishment. As soon as Aaron got home, we headed straight to the yard where Hank got to take a ride in a pump as a special treat!



Hank was just speechless with excitement. Now if I can just get him to do it again!

2 comments:

Lauralee said...

what a great reward! WOW! hope he keeps at it for you!

Kathy said...

I'm hoping its a TREND!