Monday, March 12, 2012

FHE Celebration

For FHE tonight we celebrated two major achievements: Max giving up his binky and Hank's excellent report card.

As a parent, you learn to choose your battles. Since Max is such a fantastic sleeper, and since I value my sleep as well, I have really, really procrastinated the binky battle. To my surprise, Max decided to just surrender the battle today! With new baby on the way, I decided we really needed to do away with Max's binky, but couldn't muster the nerve to commit, so I merely asked Max how he felt about trading me his binky for a new toy. Without even a second thought, Max agreed to the deal, and even decided he wanted to throw away his binky right then and there! He gathered up his binky himself and tossed it unceremoniously in the garbage can all by himself!


I was a little intrigued about how Max would handle naptime without his binky, but he eagerly told me to watch as he turned over, closed his eyes, and said, "See? I can sleep without my binky!" And he did! Bedtime required an extra back scratch and a few primary songs, but my little Maxy-boy is officially binky-free! And it was about time!

Hank has been working so hard over the past few months to recognize by sight the top 100 high-frequency reading words. Each day, we run through his reading list, read his take-home reading books, work on his handwriting/spelling, and drill with flash cards. His hard work paid off! Today Hank passed off all 100 of his sight words and came home with a perfect report card of straight 4's (fully mastered) in all areas! I know it's not time to start sending out our college applications, but I couldn't be more pleased with Hank's awesome start to his academic career.

The boys decided that they wanted to go to Chuck E. Cheese as a reward for their accomplishments. For $10 worth of tokens, the boys got to ride all the rides and play all the games they wanted.


They cashed in their 158 tickets to redeem a pair of whistles and some glow-in-the dark vampire teeth--they were both pretty happy with the deal.
Way to go Hank and Max! Mom and Dad are super proud of you boys!

No comments: