Thursday, July 26, 2007

Green Bean Catastrophe

Yesterday I was feeding Hank his dinner, strained green beans and banana/apple/strawberry, but he didn't have much of an appetite. I took him out of the high chair so he could play and I left the unfinished food on the table so I could try feeding it to him later. I turned my back to start clearing the dishes when Hank comes toddling up to me with green, goopy hands. It took me a second to register what he had done: he'd grabbed the green beans from off the table and was using it to paint all over himself, my walls, my furniture, and my carpet. It was really quite remarkable how he was able to make one can of green beans spread over so much space. Needless to say, I was less than happy about his artistic accomplishment. I should have taken a picture to preserve his work of art but I was too worried about the stains setting so I got to work right away scrubbing the carpet. I didn't lose my temper but I wanted Hank to know that he had done something wrong so I told him "no" in a lowered voice. It almost broke my heart--he's so sensitive that he just burst out crying to see me upset with him. We made up once I got everything clean--I couldn't stay mad at him for long.

No comments: