Sunday, August 3, 2008

Meanies

On Friday, Aaron and I took Hank to a local park with a brandnew playsystem. The play structures were swamped with other kids, mostly older than Hank. We let Hank loose to play and explore and he seemed to be having a really good time. He found a little cave-type spot beneath a slide and was busy spinning steering wheels. Aaron and I took a seat on a nearby bench and checked in with Hank periodically. I had just peeked in to find Hank playing with the steering wheels and mingling with some older kids, when I made the comment to Aaron that I was so glad that we have boys in that boys tend to take care of themselves and be somewhat self-reliant. No sooner had I made that comment when we saw a 4 year old kid run out of the little cave, bawling, and complaining to his mom that he had been punched by another kid. Aaron and I looked at each other nervously, hoping that Hank wasn't the offender. Aaron went to check on Hank and, as he got close, saw that some mean kid was full on throwing punches at Hank left and right! Aaron was FUMING mad and grabbed the kid by the arm and yelled at him to stop hitting. Hank didn't really know what to do--he was just stunned. Aaron brought Hank to me for some hugs and I made sure that there wasn't any serious injury (I seriously thought he was going to have a black eye because he eye was dark and swollen) and turned him loose to play some more. After the initial shock, Hank didn't seem to be bothered at all but Aaron and I were still seething over the incident. What kind of kid punches a two-year-old in the face? Poor Hank has no experience with brothers or fighting of any kind, so he didn't know how to react. I'm not sure what the moral of the story is: teach Hank self-defense? find a new park? hunt down the mean kid? Aaron wanted Hank to have slugged the kid back, but I don't think its in Hank's nature to be aggressive. He's a lover not a fighter. I'm just mad that Hank got beat up by a bully at the park!

4 comments:

Shellie said...

What a bully that kid was to pick on Hank and others. Where was his own Mom when he was beating up everyone?!! Geesh! On a side note, I have enjoyed and always look forward to reading your blogs. I envy you for being a part of that AWESOME Grover family! Shellie

Brit H. said...

I know! It is so hard to know what to do. I want my kids to defend themselves, but at the same time, we teach them not to hit. It is hard for a 2 year old to understand when it is okay and not okay to fight back. Anyway, when you figure out what the best thing to do is, let me know. haha

Sorensen Family said...

It is hard. Drew beats up on Austin all of the time. I am pretty diligent about watching him at the park and he should know better than to hit other kids. Hank is only 2 and probably has no concept of how to handle what was happening, so Im sure he wouldnt understand too much on how to deal with it! Stuff happens, especially at parks, but you just teach your kid to do right, and he will be okay. Just keep an eye on Hank and Im sure those kind of incidents wont happen too often! He is such a cutie, I cant imagine something like that happening!

We Three Madsens said...

How sad! What a mean kid. Poor Hank he is so easy going and kind Im sure he had no clue what to do. Im glad he didnt get hurt though!