Saturday, November 24, 2012

My Workers

You'd never know it from looking at my house, but the boys and I have enacted a successful chore system. And by successful I don't mean that the house is clean (I wish)--I mean that the boys are learning the important values of caring for their belongings, working hard, contributing to the household, and earning a small allowance. Each day Hank and Max are assigned two chores, in addition to cleaning their own room and doing their laundry on their assigned laundry day. With some supervision, Hank and Max are able to unload the dishwasher, dust furniture and baseboards, help clean the bathrooms, mop, and put away toys. As a reward for their hard work, they each earn a dollar at the end of the week if their chores have all been completed each day. Yesterday, the boys had finished all of their chores in the morning but immediately set to work collecting the garbage, re-lining the garbage cans, and taking the garbage to the curb when they heard the garbage truck unexpectedly coming down our street (the holiday pushed garbage day back and Dad had already left for work). I was so happy that they pitched in and were able to take out the trash without any assistance. Just imagine the little workforce I'll have in a few years!


No comments: